Close this search box.
Close this search box.

JD Cymru Premier Round-up: 11th-12th March

The New Saints can put one hand on yet another JD Cymru Premier title on Monday night.

The champions host Bala Town at Park Hall in a re-arranged fixture, now needing just two more wins to claim an astonishing 15th Welsh Championship crown.

The Saints had to push back their 1,000th JD Cymru Premier outing to Monday night because of the heavy snowfall in north Wales over the weekend.

An inspection was carried out on the 4G surface at Park Hall on Sunday morning, and it was deemed unplayable for an evening kick-off later that day.

Now, the match goes ahead 48 hours later in a dress rehearsal of the JD Welsh Cup Final later in the season.

Bala Town will be seeking to improve on the 5-0 and 3-0 regular league defeats they have suffered to date this season at the hands of Craig Harrison’s side.

But TNS boss Harrison warned: “Colin Caton has done a great job over a long period of time at Bala.

“They are going to come feeling confident after their Welsh Cup semi-final win over Connah’s Quay Nomads,

“You can look at the other scores between us this season and think it is going to be a gimmee, but it is never like that against Bala.

“And it’s going to be a big game for the club being the 1,000th league game. I’ve been involved in more than 250 of those games and it will be a proud moment for me to be part of an historic moment for the club.”

Confined indoors with their pitch unplayable, you might have expected the leaders to be put under some pressure by the chasers whose matches went ahead.

But though the rivals tried to eat into that massive 15-point lead, they could only take a little nibble.

Penybont and Connah’s Quay drew 1-1 in the battle between third and second.

Ben Nash put second-placed Connah’s Quay ahead in the 65th minute, but a penalty from Kane Owen eight minutes from time earned the hosts a point at the SDM Glass Stadium.

The match was overshadowed by a serious injury suffered by Nomads substitute Kris Owens in stoppage-time.

Owens had replaced Mike Hayes just after half-time but suffered a nasty injury himself in the closing stages and 18 minutes were eventually added as a result of his treatment.

Cardiff Met missed the chance to leapfrog Penybont in third place as they were held to a 0-0 stalemate at home by Newtown on Friday night.

In the Play Off Conference on Sunday, there were victories for Haverfordwest County at Aberystwyth Town, Flint Town at home to basement boys Airbus UK Broughton, and Pontypridd Town against visitors Caernarfon Town.

Haverfordwest climbed above Caernarfon at the top of the Play Off Conference thanks to Ioan Evans scoring the only goal of the game against Aberystwyth at Park Avenue six minutes into the second half.

Caernarfon’s 1-0 defeat at USW Sports Park came thanks to Ben Williams-Margetson’s strike for Pontypridd five minutes before the break.

Flint stay third after they inflicted a 25th defeat of the season on bottom club Airbus.

Zack Clarke put the hosts ahead in the seventh minute at the Essity Stadium, but Joseph Palmer’s 25th-minute equaliser earned Airbus parity at the halfway stage.

Flint’s winner arrived just before the hour mark as defender Dan Harrison struck to add to the visitors’ misery.

Social Share

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Scroll to Top