Close this search box.
Close this search box.

JD Cymru South: Weekend Round-Up (18th – 19th February)

Barry Town United showed it takes resilience and strength of character to stay top of the JD Cymru South with an eight-point lead.

It looked like it might be a good weekend for the chasers when fifth-placed Cambrian and Clydach carved out a shock 2-1 lead at Jenner Park.

But the Barry boys were just biding their time, it seems, as the leaders suddenly woke up to smash three goals home inside a devastating seven-minute spell to win 4-2.

Liam Reed gave the visitors a 10th minute lead with a great finish after he had been set-up by Cameron Keetch, but that was then cancelled out by an equaliser from Jordan Cotterill.

Back came Vale and after Liam Eason won a penalty with some clever footwork, the same player stepped up to hammer home the spot kick to make it 2-1 at the break.

That put the league leaders’ 17-match unbeaten run under threat and forced them to dig deep to recover. It took 30 minutes of a tense second half before Barry got back on level terms.

Then the momentum turned.

It was ‘Captain Fantastic’ Kayne McLaggon who broke the visitors’ resistance with his 22nd goal of the season in the 75th minute.

Two minutes later, Chris Hugh edged the Linnetts in front and five minutes later McLaggon struck again to make the game safe – those three goals in a devastating seven minute spell keeping the home side eight points clear at the top.

Second-placed Briton Ferry Llansawel had a Tom Brock goal just before the break to lead them to a 1-0 home win over Carmarthen Town on Friday night, when there were also wins for Abergavenny Town, Llantwit Major, and Afan Lido. Ammanford and Trefelin drew 1-1.

Owen Taylor scored one penalty and then missed another as Abergavenny won 1-0 against Taffs Well, who had Scott Hillman sent off 10 minutes into the second half.

Abergavenny are edging away from the relegation zone, but clubs below them have games in hand.

James Parry put Llanelli Town ahead in the second minute at home to Llantwit Major, but Nathan Evans equalised on 81 minutes and William Francis-Obeng won it for the visitors in the sixth minute of time added on.

There was also late drama at Princess Margaret Way as Afan Lido fought back from a goal down to beat 10-men Cwmbran Celtic.

The visitors had Shaun Moss sent off in the 36th minute but still took the lead thanks to Tom Meechan’s strike on 68 minutes.

But the hosts levelled through Mark Jones nine minutes from time and Ben Keen completed the turnaround in the first minute of time added on.

Bottom club Ynishir Albions stirred as they beat Swansea University 2-1, while Pontardawe Town were 4-0 winners over Goytre United.

It was a bad day at the office for Goytre, who ended the game with nine men and also missed a penalty.

DragonBet are a new online, but old on-course bookmaker. Run by the Lovell family, they are the bookmaker of Wales, proudly supporting the nation’s grass roots sport and offering the best odds and coverage on Welsh teams, players and events. 

Social Share

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Scroll to Top