Close this search box.
Close this search box.

JD Cymru South: Weekend Round Up – (Feb 24-26)

Briton Ferry Llansawel may have left it too late to chase down Barry Town United, but that won’t stop them trying.

With leaders Barry not playing until Tuesday night, the Reds stayed in touch with a comprehensive 3-0 victory away at neighbours Pontardawe Town.

Experienced striker Luke Bowen led the way with two goals, while Tom Walters weighed in with another to make it a good weekend for the club, whose womens’ side had already reached the Welsh Cup Final.

Barry still have an eight-point lead but Briton Ferry will hope to keep picking up points to make it an interesting meeting between the top two on March 10.

Llanelli Town – back in fourth place, but with two games in hand on Briton Ferry – let a chance slip through their fingers when they could only draw 3-3 at Cwmbran Celtic.

Tim Parker put Llanelli ahead, but Lewis Iles replied on the stroke of half-time.

Tom Meechan put Cwmbran ahead, but Thomas Hillman levelled before Meechan grabbed his second.

It looked like Llanelli might return home empty-handed, but Sean Cronin rescued a point when he made it 3-3 in the sixth minute of added time.

Cambrian and Clydach stopped the rot after back-to-back defeats when they overcame Goytre United, 4-2 at King George’s New Field.

It was 1-1 at the break, but second half goals from Liam Reed and Liam Eason were enough to overcome a brace by Benjamin Cripps.

Goytre now have just one win in five games and are back in 12th spot.

Llantwit Major drew 0-0 at home to Carmarthen Town, but Taffs Well were 3-0 winners at Trefelin BGC, ending a run of four games without a victory.

The Wellmen’s scorers were Ethan Cann, Marcus Jones and Jan Meartins, leaving Trefelin on an eight-game winless streak.

Ynyshir Albions showed there are still signs of life at the bottom as they overcame Ammanford, 1-0, to record back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

Swansea University and Abergavenny Town shared the points after a 1-1 draw at Swansea University Sports Centre on Friday night.

Josh Cole gave the students the perfect start as he fired in the opener after just two minutes, but Owen Taylor earned a point for Abergavenny with his equaliser six minutes into the second half.

Abergavenny finished with 10 men after Rhys Thomas picked up a second yellow in stoppage time but they held on for the draw.

With just one win in five, the students are now only five points above Ynyshir and have played three games more.

Social Share

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Scroll to Top