Close this search box.
Close this search box.

JD Welsh Cup Quarter-Finals: Review

Rhys Griffiths insists there is still more to come from his Penybont team after they moved into the semi-finals of the JD Welsh Cup.

The Cymru Premier club have already attracted the attention of Burnley for one of their youngsters and now more eyes are likely to be on them as their talented young squad chase down two trophies.

Third in the Cymru Premier table at the end of Phase One, they are now in the last four of the JD Welsh Cup after a 96th minute penalty broke the hearts of JD Cymru North club Hollywell Town.

Nathan Wood was the late scorer from the spot to earn Penybont a 2-1 home win.

Dan Andrews had given Hollywell a dream start with a goal after only 10 minutes at the SDM Glass Stadium, but Penybont struck back before the break through a Lewis Harling header.

But Hollywell refused to crumble and had their share of chances with the tie appearing destined for extra-time.

But Penybont were awarded a penalty six minutes into added time and Wood made no mistake to take his team through.

For manager Griffiths, the Cup run is confirmation that the Bridgend-based club are exceeding expectations.

“In terms of the reputation of the club, we are probably punching above our weight,” says Griffiths.

“But we believe very strongly in what we are capable of. Whilst we are third in the table, I think it’s only in the last few weeks that we have really put together what we are capable of doing.”

Burnley have already come calling for 18-year-old Penybont striker Tom Tweedy, who the Championship club signed in the January transfer window.

Griffiths adds: “Tom has been in the first team with me for about a year. He was passed on to me and I was told, you really need to look at this lad.

“He has probably not made as many starts as he would have liked, but he has come off the bench quite a few times.

“He is electric in and around the box, a small lad, left-footed but who can finish with his right as well.

“When he went up to Burnley for a few days, I said they are either going to say, he’s got something but he’s not for us. Or, they were going to say, he’s got something and we want him. There was no way they were going to decide he hadn’t got anything.”

JD Welsh Cup holders The New Saints took on JD Cymru South team Cwmbran Celtic and secured a place in the final four with a 3-1 win thanks to a Ryan Brobbel hat-trick.

Bala Town also advanced to the semi-finals after overcoming Briton Ferry Llansawel.

The JD Cymru South side held their own in the first half, but two goals in three minutes after the hour mark sealed their defeat.

Bala captain Chris Venables scored an acrobatic effort assisted by Adam Roscrow, who later added a headed goal.

Briton Ferry’s chances of a comeback were hindered when Connor Goldsworthy was given a red card.

In the other quarter-final, Jack Kenny led Connah’s Quay Nomads to a 5-0 win over Airbus UK to reach the semi-finals.

Kenny struck first in the sixth minute, but it was still only 1-0 at the break. 

Harry Franklin then doubled the lead in the 63rd minute before George Horan and Joe Malkin, twice in two minutes at the death, completed the scoring. 

Social Share

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Scroll to Top